[DOE-Arts] Happy October!
Argy.Nestor at maine.gov
Tue Oct 2 06:43:32 EDT 2012
I hope your October is off to a great start! I am writing from Washington DC this morning (see today's post) where the city is very alive at 5:30AM! I am excited to be here and looking forward to traveling tomorrow to Reston, VA to gather with my colleagues (SEADAE) from across the country who serve at their state departments of education in similar positions to mine. We will be meeting with the National Standards writing teams and to learn more about the progress. And, it is soooooooo cool that at 3:00 YOU can join in as well! Yes, you can join the meeting in a live conversation and even ask questions! Be sure and read the details in today's (Tuesday's) blog post at http://meartsed.wordpress.com!
I return on Thursday and am looking forward to spend that evening and all day Friday with the Maine Arts Assessment Initiatives (MAAI) Teacher Leaders. Nineteen teacher leaders will be 19 presenting their workshops as a "dry run" before taking their workshops on the road to a neighborhood near you throughout Maine. The dates, topics, and short descriptions will be posted in the next couple of weeks at http://www.maine.gov/education/lres/vpa/assessment.html in addition to a blog post with all the details. Remember, you can attend as many of the regional workshops as you'd like. Along with regional workshops this year there will also be Mega-Regional workshops planned where you can attend an all day so you can participate in more than one workshop. I suspect that several of the workshops will be presented at MMEAs All-State conference in May and perhaps at the MAEA Spring workshop at UMaine, Orono as well. If you have questions, please be sure and email me at argy.nestor at maine.gov<mailto:argy.nestor at maine.gov>.
Below are listed the latest blog posts since last week which are located at http://meartsed.wordpress.com/. And, many folks continue to send me information for "Prof Dev Opps", "Student Opps", and "Upcoming Events" which can be found on the right side of the front page of the blog. Thanks to those who have sent me info. Sometimes I just run out of time to post everything!
* National Standards Update - October 3 - 3:00 LIVE - Join in to hear the latest on the national standards work and ask questions
* Northeast Educational Theatre Festival - Nov. 30, Dec. 1 - USM and Gorham High School
* In Today's News - Fabric coral reef exhibit this week at Fryeburg Fair
* Art in the Heart - meeting held last week at UMaine
* NAEA Awards - Nominate a worthy colleague
* Cartoonist Visits Colby - Matt Wuerker, Oct. 10th
* Cross Disciplinary Literacy Network - Contact hours available for participating in workshops
* BFA Opportunity at USM - Community based educator
* Ticket to Ride - Field trip bus funding available
I will be sure and post about my meetings here in DC and the Maine Arts Assessment Initiative Teacher Leader opportunity being held on Thursday and Friday.
PD Opps - Contact hours available:
* Cross Discipline Literacy Network registration is open through October 5th. Opportunity to take part in professional learning focused on literacy across the disciplines. Face-to-face as well as webinars (facilitated by arts eduators) open to all K-12 educators. FMI and to register by October 5 click here<http://www.maine.gov/doe/literacy-for-me/cdln.html>.
* On October 18, 3:30 to 7:00 at Waterfall Arts, an opportunity to meet with Rob Shetterly about his work Americans Who Tell the Truth. Contact hours available. FMI and to register click here.<http://meartsed.wordpress.com/2012/09/24/americans-who-tell-the-truth-pd-opportunity/>
A GREAT BIG THANKS to all of you who are enriching the lives of our students by providing outstanding teaching in ARTS education!
Make it a great October,
Visual and Performing Arts Specialist
Maine Department of Education
23 State House Station
Augusta, ME 04333-0023
argy.nestor at maine.gov<mailto:argy.nestor at maine.gov>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the DOE-Arts