[DOE-Arts] Happy April!
Argy.Nestor at maine.gov
Tue Apr 2 06:02:50 EDT 2013
Happy April! On the last day of Arts Education month I went for my early morning walk on the Breakwater in Rockland and I was surprised that there wasn't anyone on our way out to the lighthouse. The water was calm with no wind, the air was warm, and the sea birds created a peaceful scene.
GREAT NEWS to share this week. The National Core Arts Standards draft came out last Friday and are being reviewed by a team of 10 along with every other state. Maine's team have signed a non disclosure form and will have 3 weeks to provide online feedback. Their feedback will be used by the 5 standards writing teams to make changes to the first draft. The draft to the public is slated to be released in June, at which time I will invite all of you to provide feedback. You can follow the progress on the meartsed blog or on the National Coalition for Core Arts Standards website at http://nccas.wikispaces.com/. I suggest that you become familiar with the National Core Arts Framework that is the foundation for the standards development. This is a very exciting time for Visual and Performing Arts!
Below are the most recent blog posts located at http://meartsed.wordpress.com/. A reminder that the ones in "blue" are connected to the Maine Arts Assessment Initiative. Thanks to those who have sent information recently to include in the blog.
* Another Teacher's Story: Gloria Hewett - MAAI Teacher Leader shares her story
* MAAI Update! - The latest information on what is happening with the Maine Arts Assessment Initiative
* One Million Bones - Exhibit coming up in Portland
* Troy Howard Middle School - Coordinated with art and science teacher, art exhibit at the Health Food store
* Thank you Jeff Beaudry - Receives the Carol Trimble Award for commitment to arts education
* Join MaryEllen, Jake, Danette - MAAI regional workshop
* McTighe on National Core Arts Standards - Understanding Backwards Design
* Art Exhibit - Bangor Mall - Art in the Heart teachers provide wonderful YAM exhibit
MAAI Regional workshop: Tomorrow, Wednesday, April 3, Bonny Eagle Middle School, 5:00 to 7:30, free workshop including a pot luck. Join your colleagues to learn more about how they are incorporating assessment into their teaching.
Movies Towards Better Assessment with Mary Ellen Schaper
Individual Assessments in an Ensemble with Jake Sturtevant
Assessment, A Self Help Program for the Art Teacher with Danette Kerrigan
RSVP to mschaper at bonnyeagle.org<http://firstname.lastname@example.org> or jsturtevant at bonnyeagle.org<http://email@example.com> or dkerrigan at sad55.org<http://firstname.lastname@example.org>
Thanks for the work you are doing and your commitment to ARTS Education!
Make it a great April,
Visual and Performing Arts Specialist
Maine Department of Education
23 State House Station
Augusta, ME 04333-0023
argy.nestor at maine.gov<mailto:argy.nestor at maine.gov>
Learn about the Maine Arts Assessment Initiative at http://maineartsassessment.pbworks.com
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the DOE-Arts