[DOE-Arts] Happy last week before vacation!
Argy.Nestor at maine.gov
Tue Apr 9 06:27:52 EDT 2013
Good morning on this rainy day in the mid-coast! It's a special day in Augusta where we will Celebrate Arts Education while recognizing the music and visual arts programs from the Camden Schools. Twenty four artists representing grade K-12 have art work on display at the Department of Education and the Off-Beats!, the high school A cappella group, will perform. It is always exciting to have students at the Blaine House for this event! If you are interested in having your school/district being highlighted please contact me by email at argy.nestor at maine.gov<mailto:argy.nestor at maine.gov>.
Below are the most recent blog posts found on the Maine Arts Education blog at meartsed.wordpress.com/<http://hmeartsed.wordpress.com/>. Thanks for all the great information on programs and events that you've been emailing. The posts this week highlight many school programs! And there are several new opportunities that you can reach by going to the right side of the front page of the blog.
* Another Arts Teacher's Story: Mari-Jo Hedman - MAAI teacher leader from Fort Farifield School District
* In Today's News - Hermon High School take home the gold from State Show Choir competition
* Glenburn's Chorus - Visit the State House and sing the Stars Spangled Banner
* Piano Guys - very very beautiful music
* Maine Student Acting Competition - An invitation for middle schools students to take part
* In Today's News - cat guest of honor at Westbrook art show
* Spirit of Washington DC Award - Waterville High School musicians go to DC with music teacher Sue Barre and bring home school pride!
* Art and Math Collaboration - Mt Vernon and Wayne Elementary Schools - Dona Seegers, art and Sarah Caban, math have a wonderful connection
* MLTI Student Conference - May 16, UMaine, registration is open
Two new Blogs that you can find under "Blogroll":
* Easily Distracted Band Teacher by grades 5-12 instrumental music teacher from Boothbay Region, Meredith Duke. Meredith shared her use of iPads Friday at the District 3 Jr. High Music Festival. Much of what she shared is on the blog. Check it out!
* Jeni Frazee has created A Moving Experience: Creating with Mind and Body. Jeni is looking for anyone interested in exploring arts integration, specifically in investigating body-based innovations in elementary education while she is doing her Master's program at Thomas College.
There will be no email to the list-serv next Tuesday. I know many of you will be on vacation and away from email. Whether you are home or away make it a FABULOUS week! I hope you get to do some things you've been dreaming about!
I will be working so feel free to contact me. In fact, on Thursday the Leadership Team of the Maine Arts Assessment (MAAI) Initiative will be meeting to plan Phase 3! On Friday 25 teacher leaders will be meeting in Augusta to do work around Quality in Arts Education - how to create work and how to provide feedback on the topic! If you'd like more information on the initiative please go to http://maineartsassessment.pbworks.com and if you'd like to become more involved in the MAAI please email me!
Thank you for your commitment to Arts Education! I really appreciate your time and dedication!
Make it a great day,
Visual and Performing Arts Specialist
Maine Department of Education
23 State House Station
Augusta, ME 04333-0023
argy.nestor at maine.gov<mailto:argy.nestor at maine.gov>
Learn about the Maine Arts Assessment Initiative at http://maineartsassessment.pbworks.com
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the DOE-Arts