[DOE-Arts] Happy last part of the school year!
Argy.Nestor at maine.gov
Tue Apr 23 07:01:46 EDT 2013
I hope your Spring break (if you had one last week) was WONDERFUL! I know it was not an easy one with the news from the Boston area. If you or a loved one was directly impacted I am sending you positive thoughts.
As we move into the last part of the school year and the days get a bit longer I am reminded of my days in the classroom and the change in the air. I started to get nervous that I would never get to everything I wanted or needed to in my curriculum. I found myself selecting my lessons more carefully and intentionally. May your days ahead be filled with hope!
Below are the blog posts located at http://meartsed.wordpress.com/ from the last two weeks since my last email to the Maine Arts Ed list-serv. Most exciting is the announcement of the Biannual Statewide Arts Ed conference. Please save the date and request a professional day now so you can join us in 184 days on the UMaine campus, October 24. The cost is $75 - if you start now, that is 40 cents per day!
* Another Arts Teacher's Story: Jane Kirton - YAHOOOOO for Sanford music educator, MAAI teacher leader
* State Arts Education Conference - October 24, 2013 - SAVE THE DATE!
* $45,000 in Grants to Elementary Art Programs - Americans for the Arts & American Girl team up
* Honoring Cathy M. Grisby - Maine Art Ed Elementary Art Educator of the Year
* 1,500 post! - MEARTSED celebrating!
* Honoring Susan Beaulier - Maine Art Ed Middle Level Art Educator of the Year
* North Pond Hermit Music Connection - Music and art documenting history
* In Today's News - Nicholas Johnson artwork highlighted in Oxford Hills Sun Journal
* Another Teacher's Story: Samantha Orchard - Read about MAAI art teacher leader
* MAAI Planning Phase 3 - Meeting with leadership team planned
* Honoring Sandy Brennan - Receives Maine Art Educator of the Year
* NCAS Are Coming! - Blog post by Rob Westerberg with all kinds of reality
* In Today's News- Dirigo Elementary School holds Arts Alive event for school and community
* MAEA Awards - Ceremony held at University of Maine Museum of Art
* In Today's News - Read about Oxford Hills Technical Center student who wins gold for her graphic design work
* Celebration of Arts Ed: Camden-Rockport - Students are recognized at Blaine House ceremony
* In Today's News - Marisa Weinstein surprise assembly named music educator of the year
* In Today's News - What's happening at USM in music education program
* Honors Festival: District 3 - Wonderful performances highlight student in middle school music
Maine Arts Assessment Initiative MAAI
On Friday of vacation 25 arts educators met in Augusta for professional development called Understanding and Implementing Quality Assessment. The day was a continuation of the MAAI work and provided a closer look at what does quality assessment. The educators attending benefited not only for themselves but their knowledge will help them build samples that will be made available to all arts educators. The MAAI leadership team met during vacation as well and phase 3 will be announced in the near future. Tomorrow's blog post will provide more information.
Robert Lynch from Americans for the Arts after the Boston Marathon tragedy
Our hope is the hope itself generated by bringing people together through the arts. My hope is that what we all do in our small way in our many arts organizations across America will make the writing of notes like this one someday unnecessary.
for all the work you do each day providing quality arts education for all students!
Make it a great day,
Visual and Performing Arts Specialist
Maine Department of Education
23 State House Station
Augusta, ME 04333-0023
argy.nestor at maine.gov<mailto:argy.nestor at maine.gov>
Learn about the Maine Arts Assessment Initiative at http://maineartsassessment.pbworks.com
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the DOE-Arts