[DOE-Arts] Summer Update!
Argy.Nestor at maine.gov
Wed Aug 21 06:37:27 EDT 2013
I hope that you are enjoying this glorious August weather - we are so fortunate! I know that many of you are starting to "think school" and that some of our friends in the County are back in the classroom.
It has been some time since I sent a Tuesday morning email so there are several topics listed below. They are located at http://meartsed.wordpress.com/. There are many opportunities and resources included - most importantly is the upcoming biennial statewide arts Education conference, Arts Education: Leading the Way, being held at the Collins Center for the Arts on the UMaine campus in Orono. I know sometimes it takes time to gain approval from your school districts. Please don't delay as the cost is $75.00 right now but will go up after September 15 so please don't delay and miss this exciting opportunity. The opening session will include Lynn Tuttle sharing information on the National Core Arts Standards. She is traveling from Arizona and has been leading the work at the national level.
* Arts Education: Leading the Way conference - REGISTER soon http://mainearts.maine.gov/Pages/Media-and-Performing/Conference-Education#
* Touchscreen - Ever thought about how technology is impacting us?
* Eels and Art - Artwork created in New Zealand to raise awareness of the longfin eel
* STEAM/STEM Funding - Perloff Family Foundation funding available
* In Today's News - Education Commissioner Stephen Bowen moving on to a new job
* Picturing Jazz for Children - Several children's books that highlight jazz
* Graduate Arts Education Assessment Courses - Offered by New England Institute for Teacher Education
* Critical Friends Help Out! - Teacher leaders presented at USM - dry-run of 2013-14 workshops
* Sweet Tree Arts - Hope Children's Festival, August 24
* Back from Vacation - And a wonderful time it was!
* Blog on Vacation - Yes, even the blog took a break
* Teacher Evaluation in Non-Tested Areas - Webinar (archived)
* Yo Yo Ma Says... "Arts education .... " (see for yourself)
* Putting the A in Arts for STEM - Webinar (archived)
* Funding Opportunities - For the Arts from Mockingbird Foundation and NEA
* STEM/STEAM - Check out the cartoon from FableVision Learning
Please send me information that you think your arts education colleagues might be interested in reading about on the Maine Arts Education blog! Enjoy this beautiful week!
Make it a great day,
Visual and Performing Arts Specialist
Maine Department of Education
23 State House Station
Augusta, ME 04333-0023
argy.nestor at maine.gov<mailto:argy.nestor at maine.gov>
Learn about the Maine Arts Assessment Initiative at http://maineartsassessment.pbworks.com
Registration for the October 24 statewide Arts Education Conference Arts Education: Leading the Way is available at http://mainearts.maine.gov/Pages/Media-and-Performing/Conference-Education#
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the DOE-Arts