[DOE-Arts] Arts at the center!
Argy.Nestor at maine.gov
Tue Jan 22 06:08:06 EST 2013
Happy Martin Luther King Day and Inauguration Day! I love when a large group of Americans gather that offer me the opportunity to reflect and be grateful. Yesterday was that kind of day. The arts were at the heart of much of the day, especially music. Remove the music of Aretha Franklin and Yo-Yo Ma from the 2009 Inauguration day, and James Taylor, Kelly Clarkson, and Beyonce from yesterday and the day feels different.
Below are the latest blog posts found at http://meartsed.wordpress.com/. They are filled with many resources that I am certain you will find useful in teaching and your role as an educator. Please be sure to visit them. We've been waiting for the Conceptual Framework for the National Core Arts Standards and I am happy to say they were released on January 14th. You can download the .pdf - linked from the post. Some information about the Framework will be included in the Cross Content Connections Arts and Literacy webinar coming up this Thursday. Info in today's blog post.
* Arts and Literacy - PD opportunity this Thursday by webinar!
* ASCD Resources on the Arts - Several articles and other resources
* NEA Grants - funding available
* Mega-Regional Workshop at UMF - Teacher Leaders present for arts teachers in western Maine (MAAI)
* Live Stream: National Core Arts Standards - Conceptual Framework release
* Why STEM Education Needs the Arts, Too - Yes, the other way around
* AP Studio Teachers Gathering - January 26, Farnsworth Art Museum Gamble Center, Rockland
There are several NEW student opportunities and professional development opportunities listed on the blog under "student opps<http://meartsed.wordpress.com/student-opps/>" and "prof dev opps<http://meartsed.wordpress.com/prof-dev-opps/>" pages (right side of the blog) including the list below. Opportunities to earn Contact Hours.
* The deadline for MAEA award nominations is Feb. 1st and MMEA award nominations is March 1st! Consider nominating a colleague who is deserving to be recognized for the good work they do educating Maine students in the arts! FMI please click here<http://meartsed.wordpress.com/prof-dev-opps/>.
* Sweet Tree Arts in Hope, Open House. FMI please click here<http://meartsed.wordpress.com/prof-dev-opps/>.
* Americans Who Tell the Truth workshop called "Inspiring Citizenship and Student Performance"<http://meartsed.wordpress.com/prof-dev-opps/>.
* Art scholarships for UMaine, Orono, FMI please click here<http://www.umaine.edu/art/?q=pages/prospective-students>.
* Maine Media Workshops + College, Spirit of Place photo and Video competition<http://www.mainemedia.edu/contest> - deadline February 1.
* Bangor Symphony Orchestra Young People's Concert performance open to school groups. FMI please contact Sarah S.P. McCarthy @ Sarah at BangorSymphony.org<http://meartsed.wordpress.com/wp-admin/Sarah@BangorSymphony.org>.
* Hardy Girls Women Training Institute webinar called Teaching Media Literacy Through Art: Project Girl. FMI please click click here<http://hghw.org/content/webinar-series-project-girl-teaching-media-literacy-through-art>.
MAAI Professional Development Opportunities
And a reminder that the next Mega-regional workshops and regional workshops being presented by teacher leaders from the Maine Arts Assessment Initiative are posted at http://www.maine.gov/education/lres/vpa/assessment.html<http://www.maine.gov/education/lres/vpa/assessment.html%20>. It is necessary that you register for the Mega-regional workshops. All of the workshops are FREE and contact hours are provided.
Thank you for the important work you do each day for Arts education!
Make it a great day,
Visual and Performing Arts Specialist
Maine Department of Education
23 State House Station
Augusta, ME 04333-0023
argy.nestor at maine.gov<mailto:argy.nestor at maine.gov>
Learn about the Maine Arts Assessment Initiative at http://maineartsassessment.pbworks.com
Register for the Mega-regional workshops at
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the DOE-Arts