[DOE-Arts] Happy 1st week in June!
Argy.Nestor at maine.gov
Tue Jun 4 05:54:59 EDT 2013
Yes, June is here and the weather has turned balmy! The lilacs are providing their sweet smell throughout my home and remind me of my childhood. And speaking of June and childhood, my mother turns 95 this Thursday, June 6th. Soooooo exciting! I hope your June is off to a GREAT start!
Below are this past week's blog posts. Sooooo much news, sooooo little time to write and read! You can access the posts at http://meartsed.wordpress.com/. Thanks to those who have been sending GREAT information/resources to share!
* Another Arts Teacher's Story: Drew Albert - read about Drew, teacher leader from Maranacook Community High School
* In Today's News - Mt. Blue High School musician giving back
* Bangor High School - Student Art Show - June 4 to June 28
* Valley RIvers Middle School Band- marching in the Memorial Day Parade
* MAEA Fall Conference - registration is now open
* Honoring Marisa Weinstein - MMEA Educator of the Year
* Archived Webinars: CDLN - Thanks to Jen Nash, Lisa Gilman, Suzanne Goulet for their leadership
* Honoring Ruey Yehle - MMEA Outstanding Administrator award recipient
* Phase 3 MAAI Teacher Leaders Announced! - We've launched the third phase and you can read about who has signed on as leaders to provide you with opportunities!
STATEWIDE ARTS EDUCATION CONFERENCE - Request a PD day!
Arts Education: Leading the Way being held Thursday, October 24, UMaine, Orono, Collins Center for the Arts. The one-day conference will precede the Maine Arts Commission two-day conference The International Conference on Arts and Culture: Strengthen the Core, 2013. Please SAVE THE DATE and request a professional day now so you can join us in 149 days. The cost for the one-day conference is $75 - if you start now, that is 50 cents per day! Purchase your ticket now at https://tickets.collinscenterforthearts.org/auto_choose_ga.asp?area=116. PLEASE NOTE: School invoices will not be an option this years statewide conference!
NATIONAL CORE ARTS STANDARDS - don't miss this!
The standards will go out for public review on June 30th. Folks will have till July 15th to respond. Details will be on the NCCAS wiki athttp://nccas.wikispaces.com<http://nccas.wikispaces.com/> or on the new Facebook page at www.facebook.com/NationalCoalitionForCoreArtsStandards<http://www.facebook.com/NationalCoalitionForCoreArtsStandards>.
Last call for retirees! If you or someone you know is retiring please send their name, school, and years teaching to me argy.nestor at maine.gov<mailto:argy.nestor at maine.gov>. Thank you!
As many of you 'march' with the graduating class this month I hope that you will pause and think about the impact you've made on the students who are leaving your schools. I know if you teach elementary and/or middle school that we don't have the same opportunity to do this as high school teachers however, you've made an impact on students and their future. Thank you for the work you do educating students in the arts!
Make it a great JUNE,
Visual and Performing Arts Specialist
Maine Department of Education
23 State House Station
Augusta, ME 04333-0023
argy.nestor at maine.gov<mailto:argy.nestor at maine.gov>
Learn about the Maine Arts Assessment Initiative at http://maineartsassessment.pbworks.com
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the DOE-Arts