[DOE-Arts] Helloooo April!

Nestor, Argy Argy.Nestor at maine.gov
Tue Apr 1 22:18:44 EDT 2014

It is hard to believe that yesterday I was in 70 degree weather in San Diego and today I return to snow and a cooler temperature. That is not an April Fool's joke!! As I mentioned, I was out of state during the last few days to attend the National Art Education Convention, presenting a session on the Maine Arts Assessment Initiative with Catherine Ring and Suzanne Goulet. It was great to be with educators from across the country. If you've never been to a national convention, I highly recommend it!

Today is Arts Education Day at the State House, 8:30 - 1:00. You can read about it and who will be recognized in today's blog post at http://meartsed.wordpress.com/
RECENT BLOG POSTS

  *   Congrats to Suzanne and Gloria - receiving recognition today
  *   Another Arts Teacher's Story: Suzanne Goulet - read all about her
  *   National Portrait Gallery - opportunity for summer professional development in DC
  *   Arts Day at Gorham Middle School - read about the enormous arts opportunity provided for students
  *   Give.Maine.Art - UMaine student doing "good" during her capstone project for the arts
  *   Arts Ed Fuels the Economy - yes, it is true!
  *   MLTI Student Photos - once again the screen saver students are announced
  *   Musician from Around the World - played at Minsky Recital Hall at UMaine
  *   Essence of the North - Aroostook county regional art teachers collaborate to provide huge student exhibit

Regional and Mega-regional workshops
April 11 is the next Mega-regional workshop at UMaine, Orono. To register for April 11 please go to nearts.maine.gov/Pages/Education/MAAI-Mega-Regionals-Orono#orono<http://mainearts.maine.gov/Pages/Education/MAAI-Mega-Regionals#> The Arts and Proficiency: What, why, and how? and Technology are the afternoon topics which have been very worthwhile for participants.
Please let me know if you have trouble registering or completing your payment please!

MAAE Arts Education Day
April 2 is Arts Education Day at the State Capital. Please consider joining us to celebrate, 8:30am - 1:00pm.

Save the dates!
Maine Arts Assessment Initiative is providing professional development this summer at the New England Summit on Arts Education. Registration will soon be open but please plan ahead. July 29, 30, 31 and for teacher leaders August 1 at USM, Portland. The cost is $300 and you can learn more at http://mainearts.maine.gov/Pages/Education/NESummit#. Information will be added to the webpage as it becomes available.

Requesting your help!
Periodically I receive emails from VPA teachers who have been asked by their administrators to incorporate Common Core State Standards (ELA and Math) in their arts lessons. I am curious about those of you who are doing work with the Common Core State Standards, alignment and/or integration. If you doing some of this please contact me by email argy.nestor at maine.gov<mailto:argy.nestor at maine.gov>.

Thank you for letting others know about the important work you do each day educating students with a quality arts education!

Make it a great Arts Education Month,
Argy

Ms. Argy Nestor
Director of Arts Education
Maine Arts Commission
193 State Street, 25 SHS
Augusta, ME 04333-0025
207/287-2713 Direct Line
207/287-2724 General Office Line
207/287-2725 Fax
argy.nestor at maine.gov<mailto:argy.nestor at maine.gov>
MaineArts.com<http://MaineArts.com>
http://meartsed.wordpress.com/ Blog
Maine Arts Assessment Initiative http://maineartsassessment.pbworks.com
Mega-regional workshop registration is now open! Learn more at
http://mainearts.maine.gov/Pages/Education/MAAI-Mega-Regionals#
MEArtsEducation on Facebook at
https://www.facebook.com/MEArtsEducation