[DOE-Arts] Tulips are up!

Nestor, Argy Argy.Nestor at maine.gov
Tue Apr 8 07:20:06 EDT 2014

I am back from California and the National Art Education Convention. It was an excellent conference, a great learning opportunity, and San Diego is a beautiful place to have a convention. I met some of my favorite bloggers (will do a post on them in the near future). And on my return home I was quite surprised to see tulip tips in the flower bed! I know there is still plenty of snow up north (banks as high as 7 feet) but the wind and rain today in this part of the state is making the snow piles smaller.

DON'T MISS TODAY'S MAAI WEBINAR - COMMON CORE AND THE ARTS - 3:30-4:30pm, (join us at 3:20 to check your sound, use a hard-wire connection (not wireless) for best results). One contact hour available.
To join us please click here: https://stateofmaine.adobeconnect.com/_a827390218/maaiapril2014/

RECENT BLOG POSTS
Below are the most recent blog posts that are located at http://meartsed.wordpress.com/.

  *   Another Teacher's Story: Linda McVety - Teacher leader and music educator tells her story
  *   Common Core and the Arts Webinar - This months webinar with Catherine and Rob (TODAY, Tues, April 7)
  *   In Today's News - UMaine's Symphonic Band on the island
  *   Scholastic Art & Writing Awards - Students selected from Maine
  *   In Today's News - Bangor Area Children's Choir
  *   MECA Opportunity - Students ages 9-17 chance to enter an important question
  *   Bay Chamber Concerts and Music School - all kinds of musical opportunities
  *   Yesterday's Celebration on the Arts - State House event

Regional and Mega-regional workshops
We still have room... LAST CHANCE to attend a MAAI Mega-regional workshop! UMaine, Orono, Friday, April 11 - all day, 5.5 contact hours.  To register please go to nearts.maine.gov/Pages/Education/MAAI-Mega-Regionals-Orono#orono<http://mainearts.maine.gov/Pages/Education/MAAI-Mega-Regionals#> The Arts and Proficiency: What, why, and how? and Technology are the afternoon topics which have been very worthwhile for participants.

Reminder
MAEA Spring Conference registration closes tomorrow! http://aeforme.org/MAEA/Spring_Conference.html

Save the dates!
Maine Arts Assessment Initiative is providing professional development this summer at the New England Summit on Arts Education. Registration will soon be open but please plan ahead. July 29, 30, 31 and for teacher leaders August 1 at USM, Portland. The cost is $300 and you can learn more at http://mainearts.maine.gov/Pages/Education/NESummit#. Information will be added to the webpage as it becomes available.

Requesting your help!
Kate Smith, music educator from RSU35, is seeking a Fife and Drum Corps for an event in June. If you are part of one or know of one that you can recommend, please email Kate at kate.smith at rsu35.org<mailto:kate.smith at rsu35.org> withe information so she can contact them. Thanks in advance!

Thank you for the important work you do each day to offer quality arts education to learners!

Make it a great day,
Argy

Ms. Argy Nestor
Director of Arts Education
Maine Arts Commission
193 State Street, 25 SHS
Augusta, ME 04333-0025
207/287-2713 Direct Line
207/287-2724 General Office Line
207/287-2725 Fax
argy.nestor at maine.gov<mailto:argy.nestor at maine.gov>
MaineArts.com<http://MaineArts.com>
http://meartsed.wordpress.com/ Blog
Maine Arts Assessment Initiative http://maineartsassessment.pbworks.com
Mega-regional workshop registration is now open! Learn more at
http://mainearts.maine.gov/Pages/Education/MAAI-Mega-Regionals#
MEArtsEducation on Facebook at
https://www.facebook.com/MEArtsEducation