[DOE-Arts] Summit announced!

Nestor, Argy Argy.Nestor at maine.gov
Tue Jan 21 05:37:01 EST 2014

Everyone I speak to recently says how busy life is. I think that's a good thing for the most part, but I do hope that you take some time and smell the roses or perhaps the winter air! I see on the weather map that Maine will below normal temperatures are expected this week again. Peter Geiger, at the Farmer's Almanac, predicts snow through March. You know how I feel about that! YAHOoooOOOOoo!
And, as you ponder perhaps that we still have a lot of winter ahead of us, please read today's blog post and consider a summer opportunity that the Maine Arts Assessment Initiative is offering!

RECENT BLOG POSTS
Below are the most recent blog posts that are located at http://meartsed.wordpress.com/.

  *   New England Summit on Arts Education - ANNOUNCING - July 29, 30, 31, Aug 1
  *   MAEA Exhibit for Educators - Saco Museum, opening Jan. 25, 1:00- 3:00
  *   Rhode Island School of Design - STEM to STEAM Symposium, Jan. 31 - Feb. 2, 2014
  *   Talking Walls - the book is back with a teacher workshop planned for Feb. 7, Portland
  *   Sugar Bean Sisters - Waterville Opera House
  *   Dr. Elliot W. Eisner - passed away, Jan. 10
  *   NEA grants - consider applying

MUSIC COLLEAGUE LOOKING FOR MUSIC SERIES
I'm looking for a copy of the 3rd Grade book from the Growing With Music series (Prentice Hall 1966±)
It's for a friend who's collecting them.  If you've got one stashed away someplace that you're willing to part with forever, please contact Beth Whitney at ewhitney at rsu1.org<mailto:ewhitney at rsu1.org>.

COLLEAGUE LOOKING TO CONNECT
Jackman art teacher, Michelle Danforth has created a blog and has this message: Maine is a large state and sometimes Art teacher's feel isolated and alone, especially if you teach K-12. I started a blog for art teachers to share ideas and generate conversation; about what you do as well as providing a place to ask questions to get feedback from other art teachers all over the state. I would also like to generate a region listing of art teachers to access contacts nearby. If you would like to be part of the conversation, please email me at michelle.danforth at sad12.com<mailto:michelle.danforth at sad12.com> for log on info. Please share what you are currently doing and any questions you may have to start the conversation rolling!

TEACHER EVALUATION
What is the work you and/or your district are doing for the Teacher Evaluation system? Please email me with information so I can begin to compile the resources to share with others across the state. This is a topic that many of you are asking about. Thanks in advance for sharing!

GREEK STUDIES
If you teach "Greece" please contact me. I have resources to share. Thanks!

MEGA-REGIONAL WORKSHOPS
Mega-regional Maine Arts Assessment Initiative workshop coming up at USM, Friday, March 7 and at UMaine, Orono, Friday, April 11. Details and registration information is located at http://mainearts.maine.gov/Pages/Education/MAAI-Mega-Regionals#.

FACEBOOK
Maine Arts Education facebook is located at https://www.facebook.com/MEArtsEducation, Please check it out and let others know about it!

Thank you for providing and supporting quality Arts education programs for all students!

Make it a great day,
Argy

Argy Nestor
Director of Arts Education
Maine Arts Commission
193 State Street, 25 SHS
Augusta, ME 04333-0025
207/287-2713 Direct Line
207/287-2724 General Office Line
207/287-2725 Fax
argy.nestor at maine.gov<mailto:argy.nestor at maine.gov>
MaineArts.com<http://MaineArts.com>
http://meartsed.wordpress.com/ Blog
Maine Arts Assessment Initiative http://maineartsassessment.pbworks.com
Mega-regional workshop registration is now open! Learn more at
http://mainearts.maine.gov/Pages/Education/MAAI-Mega-Regionals#
MEArtsEducation on Facebook at
https://www.facebook.com/MEArtsEducation