[Mckinneyvento] MV Update 7.15.21

Lyons, Amelia Amelia.Lyons at maine.gov
Thu Jul 15 17:00:59 EDT 2021

Hello! Here are a few resources and updates regarding McKinney-Vento. To update your subscription preferences/unsubscribe to this listserv, the link is at the bottom of the email. Thank you for all that you do!

UPCOMING WEBINAR: P-EBT Program Webinar for School Leaders, Child Nutrition Directors, and Homeless Liaisons <https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/5315384871622760972>
Dear Champions of Education,
As your students and their families have struggled during this past year, our schools have become a lifeline for food, support and resources.  We are thrilled that there are additional resources and supports available for our most at-risk students through the Pandemic Electronic Benefit Transfer (P-EBT) program. Based on information your school administrative unit shared and identified needs of the family, additional funds are available for some families. A FAQ document about P-EBT in Maine can be found, here<https://www.maine.gov/dhhs/sites/maine.gov.dhhs/files/inline-files/P-EBT-PUBLIC-INFO-050720.pdf>. We want to help you in your effort to support your students and their families, and have invited our colleagues at DHHS who oversee the program to provide additional information and answer questions.

Please join Maine DOE's Adriane Ackroyd and Maine DHHS's Ian Miller on Tuesday, July 20, 2021 at 1:00pm for a webinar with updates on the P-EBT program, with an opportunity to ask and get answered the questions that you have.  The webinar will be recorded and saved under the P-EBT section on the COVID-19 Information page of the DOE Child Nutrition website by the end of the day on Wednesday July 21, 2021.

For more information, please check out DHHS's website, here<https://www.maine.gov/dhhs/ofi/programs-services/food-supplement>.

EMERGENCY BROADBAND BENEFIT<https://www.fcc.gov/broadbandbenefit>: Families with students eligible for free lunch can qualify for a discount of up to $50 per month towards broadband service and up to $75 per month for households on qualifying Tribal lands. Eligible households can also receive a one-time discount of up to $100 to purchase a laptop, desktop computer, or tablet from participating providers if they contribute more than $10 and less than $50 toward the purchase price.

SCHOLARSHIP OPPORTUNITY<https://www.schoolhouseconnection.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/2021-22-Scholarship-Flyer.pdf> - now accepting applications for SchoolHouse Connection's Youth Leadership and Scholarship Program for students entering college for the first time in the 2022-2023 school year. [Deadline to apply: October 15, 2021, 11:59 PM PST]

DOE PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT ON MCKINNEY-VENTO<https://www.maine.gov/doe/calendar/mckinney-vento-101-orientationrefresher-0> - Our next orientation/refresher session will be August 12, from 1-3pm.

I'm sharing a few documents that may assist with preparations for the upcoming school year. These are samples that can be adapted to fit your needs.

  *   Housing questionnaire (to include in back to school packets and any new enrollments)
  *   Know Your Rights materials (poster attached) to order free copies<https://nchehelpline.org/pages/free-orders> of the NCHE products.  Each customer's orders for each product are tracked per school year.  School districts, individual schools, service providers (shelters, churches, etc), and interested individuals are allowed to place free orders that include the standard limits noted below. Each order may only be shipped to the address of the person placing the order.
  *   BID Checklist
  *   Caregiver Template, if an unaccompanied youth has a non-parent/guardian acting as a caregiver
  *   MV Referral Form internally for SAU staff
  *   MV Check In Form - for liaisons/social workers/school counselors to check in on MV students regularly

If you have any other documents that work well in your district, please let me know and I'd be happy to share them with the larger group. Have a great summer, everyone!

Amelia Lyons
(she/her/hers)
McKinney-Vento<https://www.maine.gov/doe/schools/safeschools/counseling/highmobility/homelessed>, Homeless Education
Migrant Education Program<https://www.maine.gov/doe/schools/safeschools/migranted>, Title I Part C