[Provider] Non-Categorical MaineCare Benefit for Low-income Childless Adults

Provider Notification provider at lists.maine.gov
Mon Dec 4 13:16:22 EST 2006

ATTENTION:  All Providers

The following is a letter from DHHS Commissioner Brenda Harvey:

I am writing to you about the Non-Categorical MaineCare benefit for low-income childless adults.

According to legislative direction, in March 2005, the Department capped enrollment to this waiver to assure that we did not exceed the financial cap set forth by Center for Medicare and Medicaid Services.  We also established a waiting list.  In February 2006, we were able to again enroll individuals from the waiting list, and in August we opened enrollment to all eligible individuals.  I am pleased to say that we enrolled almost 9,000 individuals to the Non-Categorical benefit from February until November.  Our outreach efforts along with your involvement helped make this enrollment a success.

We are now at the point where we will once again establish a waiting list for coverage.  All existing Non-Categorical members will continue to receive services under this benefit.  And, we will enroll eligible individuals who have filed an application by December 15, 2006 in the Non-Categorical benefit.  Applications for new coverage received after December 15, 2006 from individuals who are income eligible will go on a waiting list.

It is still important that income eligible individuals apply for the Non-Categorical benefit even if they are placed on a waiting list and persons with disabilities should continue to apply within the additional categorical eligibility options.  When we open enrollment again, we will begin by offering coverage to the people on the waiting list first.

Individuals may contact their local DHHS regional office for more information on the Non-Categorical benefit as well as any other DHHS benefit.

We will periodically open the program to enroll people on the waiting list as room under the cap allows.

This is a one-way communication.  Please do not respond to this message.