[Libworld] material types

Valerie Osborne Valerie.Osborne at bpl.lib.me.us
Tue Feb 14 15:38:38 EST 2012

Tina and LibraryWorld members::

You certainly have more patience than me in worrying about the library
types that appear in this report on the Marc record side of things.  Our
intent was to caution the libraries in the AutomateMe project that their
records needed some work.  It doesn't matter what type or size library
you are or whether you have a small or large staff, whenever you do an
automation project there is always a need  to clean up the records.

In the clean ups we were talking about being consistent on how you do
materials: Location, Collection, Call Number and Call Cutter.  No
library should have 6 or 7 variations of the spelling of fiction or
three different ways to designate an audio book.  Example: Audio, Audio
CD, and Audio/cd.  I think that what this should tell you is that it is
important to have a format to follow either for yourself, the person who
catalogs, or the volunteer that helps you with this task.  If everyone
is on the same page and checks each entry as they do it, it will make
all the difference.

The same applies with patron records we are seeing the same
inconsistency.  Example:  Why would you capitalize Child but not adult.
In this case adult is spelled wrong, and you have NR CHILD and CHILD NR.
Wouldn't it be more consistent to list your patron record the same.
Adult, NR Adult, Child, NR Child?

Adul

Adult

CHILD

CHILD NR

NR Adult

NR CHILD

Staff

YA

In order to check your Location assignments you need to look at how you
have them in the system.  I know I mentioned this before, but let me
describe how you find that information again.

On the left hand side of the page select Reports, scroll down to the
bottom of the page until you see the last category OTHER REPORTS select
the 2nd item in the list Library Status Report.  Look at the last two on
the list Location and Patrons.  That will give you an idea where you
have some issues that need to be corrected.

I hope this clears this up, but if you have any questions don't hesitate
to give us a call.  I know this seems like a good deal of work, but I
know the online catalog is a very positive step in the right direction.

Sincerely,

Valerie Osborne