[minervacirc] Policy on Patron Record Creation

Martha Ott MOtt at andovercollege.edu
Thu Nov 4 15:27:15 EDT 2010

I would strongly urge that libraries be required to ASK FOR (but certainly not demand) a patron's email address. It is so much easier and more cost-effective to email notices (we email notices 1-3 and also snail mail 3). There could be a script along the lines of "Do you wish to share your email address so that we may email notices to you?). Obviously, school library patrons would not be asked.

I'm not urging that it be made mandatory to obtain the email address, only mandatory that patrons be given the option.

Martha