[minervacirc] To Send or To Send Home

Carin Dunay CDunay at smccme.edu
Thu Nov 3 15:48:45 EDT 2011

Sending damaged items back to the home library seems more patron friendly
than keeping them in circulation.

-Carin

Carin Dunay
Head, Collection & Access Services
Southern Maine Community College Library
2 Fort Road
South Portland, ME 04106
cdunay at smccMe.edu
207-741-5784
http://www.smccMe.edu

"Josh Tiffany" <jrt at scarborough.lib.me.us>
Sent by: minervacirc-bounces at informe.org
11/03/2011 02:56 PM
Please respond to
jrt at scarborough.lib.me.us

MELIBS-L at LISTS.MAINE.EDU, minervacirc at lists.maine.gov
cc

Subject
[minervacirc] To Send or To Send Home

At Scarborough Public Library, we take great pride in the condition
of our materials.  We physically check every disc that is returned
for scratches and smudges, immediately repair any damage to covers on
books or other materials, and never let a cracked case leave the
building.  Which brings up an inter-library point - at what point in
time should an item not fulfill a hold but instead be sent back to
its home for repairs?  We have received crushed DVD cases with a note
"case cracked upon arrival", followed up another library putting a
ditto mark, followed by another library putting a ditto mark, and on
and it goes.  And we have now gotten notes back saying "patron
reports disc cracked"... and then being sent along to fulfill the next
hold.

I truly understand that this can become a sticky situation.  Each
library has its own standards for what is allowed to be circulated,
what needs repair, and what needs a new case.  However, there should
be some kind of base-line that all libraries work off of rather than
just continually sending damaged goods and packaging from one library
to the next.  If I were asked, I would prefer that damaged cases be
sent back to us rather than sending it along to fulfill the next
hold.  And if someone receives an item with something damaged or
missing, PLEASE DO NOT SEND IT ALONG TO FULFILL THE NEXT HOLD.

If anyone has any insight or suggestions, they would be greatly
appreciated.

Yours in circulation librarianship,
Josh

Josh Tiffany, MLIS
Head of Circulation
Scarborough Public Library
48 Gorham Road
Scarborough ME 04074
207-883-4723 x6268

This message and any accompanying attachments are confidential and are
intended solely for the use of the addressee. If you have received this
message in error, please contact the sender.

~~~Outgoing mail scanned for viruses by Symantec Mail Security~~~