[minervacirc] changing loan rules

Alisia Revitt alisia.revitt at maineinfonet.org
Sun Jun 30 08:09:45 EDT 2013

HI, Beth and all

It's a common question, so I'm sending the answer to everyone!  Here's the
scoop on loan rules:

I. A loan rule contains all of these elements: whether holds can be placed,
checkout length, number and length of renewals, number and frequency of
overdue notices/bills, pointers to text of notices, fine amounts.  Some of
these are the same for all our items (notices), others vary.  Loan rules
can be seen (but not changed) in the Circulation module: Admin > parameters
> circulation > loan rule table.

II.  To decide which loan rule to apply to any given checkout, we use a
loan rule determiner.  This uses the unique combination ptype, itype, and
item location to decide how an item should be checked out.  This is why
items to your own ptypes circulate differently than items to other people's
ptypes, why stuff in your reference location can be set to not circulate by
location, and why you can have your ereaders in the same location as other
items but go out for different periods because they have a different itype.
 Loan rule determiners can be seen in the Circulation module: Admin >
parameters > circulation > loan rule determiner table.  To add the
confusion, any rule in the table is superceded by a rule coming after it.
 So, the incredibly broad rules at the top are overwritten by more specific
rules down below.  III describes this as the table reading "from the bottom
up"  If that makes sense to you, then you're doing better than I am.

III.  So, you can request changes to loan rules through the ticketing
system.  When you do so, please include the relevant info, like what
location, itype, and ptypes you want it to apply to, and how long the
checkout is, fines, etc.  We try to keep everything as streamlined as
possible, and may have some questions or, frankly, some pushback if you are
looking to make rules a lot more complicated.  There are already 1000+
lines in the determiner table.  (I have heard people at the Innovative
group meeting complain about how their table has 50! whole! lines! and I
rolled my eyes so hard I think I sprained something.)

Hope that helps,

 Alisia Revitt  |  Systems Training and Support Librarian  |  Maine
InfoNet  |  alisia.revitt at maineinfonet.org