[minervacirc] {Disarmed} Messages on non-patron records

Cyndi Burne cyndi at topshamlibrary.org
Thu May 2 10:17:27 EDT 2013

Hello all,

Because I have received several complaints regarding libraries placing
messages on the accounts of patrons from other Minerva libraries I thought
it might be time to send a reminder.  The only time a library may alter
another library's patron record is to collect for a billed item after
payment has been received or to add either "a" for "verify address" or "z"
for "verify email" to the PMESSAGE field. In instances where a postal
address is found to be undeliverable, the library should add the text: (UND)
to the beginning of the first address line within the patron account in
order to flag the address as undeliverable the next time a notice is
generated for the account.

Below is the adopted Patron Record Policy and the section on handling billed
items from the settle up procedure.  Both policies can be found in the best
practices manual located here: http://tinyurl.com/839hvj3

Patron Records

Creating a Patron Record

Primary Fields:

.            Full name, with middle initial, if applicable

.            Phone Number, with area code

.            Email address

.            Current mailing address

Secondary Fields:

.            Birth date

.            License Number

Prohibited:  Collection of Patron's Social Security Number

All Patron records must expire after one year.  Inactive patron records
should be purged from the system after five years, with the exception of
patrons with billed items on their record.

The only time a library may alter another library's patron's record is to
add either "a" for "verify address" or "z" for "verify email" to the
PMESSAGE field. In instances where a postal address is found to be
undeliverable, the library should add the text: (UND) to the beginning of
the first address line within the patron account in order to flag the
address as undeliverable the next time a notice is generated for the
account.

*Libraries are strongly encouraged to explore Minerva for a preexisting
account before entering a patron.  The handling of this information is to be
decided at a local level.

Billed ILL items

Patrons receive overdue (email only) notices at 5 and 10 days overdue; at 20
days overdue they are sent a bill.  A copy is sent to the patron's home
library ILL/Circ contact  found here
<http://www.google.com/url?q=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.maine.gov%2Finfonet%2Flibconta
cts.shtml&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNFkgG9aOs6hqAQ5V-8pbC3u1XJ9fw>
http://www.maine.gov/infonet/libcontacts.shtml
<http://www.google.com/url?q=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.maine.gov%2Finfonet%2Flibconta
cts.shtml&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNFkgG9aOs6hqAQ5V-8pbC3u1XJ9fw>

This bill when received at the patron's home library needs to be kept until
the patron returns the item or the 45 days are up.  At 45 days overdue, the
borrowing library is responsible for payment of the item.

The delinquent patron's library may add a Predefined charge under the add
fines tab on their patron's account  "ILL PAID: Title/author, date paid
00/00/00, Initials".

This will enable the patron's library to manually track payments made on
behalf of their patron after the item has been deleted or replaced by the
owning library.

Your Patrons will see a double charge on their record until the owning
library receives payment for their billed item and removes the replacement
charge from your Patron's record.

REMEMBER--The status of another library's item should not be changed without
contacting the owning library first.  Do not "collect" the charge on an item
that does not belong to you!

Cyndi Burne

Assistant Director

Topsham Public Library