[minervacirc] Prepare for Sierra Step 1: tell us about your username and info

Alisia Revitt alisia.revitt at maineinfonet.org
Mon Aug 4 16:55:42 EDT 2014

Hello, Minervians.

We are beginning to set up the new Minerva Sierra system with custom
information. One of the most important things we need to do is to convert
everyone's old Minerva Login and Initials combo into a single Sierra
Username.  To this end, we need to know information about EVERY ONE of the
initials sets that are used in Millennium at each library.  We've created a
9-question form to get the info that will literally only take you a minute
to complete.

Username Form Link:
https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/minervausernames

Since this is a time consuming process for us and there are over 800
initials and logins in the Minerva system, we need to get this done
promptly.  Please organize and spread the word to everyone at your library
to have the form filled in by the end of the day this Friday, August 8th.

Background and explanation:

In Millennium, you have two steps signing in.

First, you enter your login. This tells the system what functions you see,
and has preferences and options like the look and feel, your location,
printers, macros, templates, and more. All those things that you can't
change without everyone else who uses the login saying "Why is the screen a
different color now?".

Second, you enter your initials. These tell the system what you,
specifically, are allowed to do. There may be some things that you can see
because of your login, but are greyed out because you don't have the
permission.

However, in Sierra, you will have just one username to sign in that gives
all of this information. We (at InfoNet central) are creating this username
from your Millennium initials, so it has all of your permissions. Then, we
have to identify which login's preferences and settings to add to your
username so it is right for you. By combining your initials + your login,
we get your username. We are doing this both for the name-based initials
and the more generic circ desk style initials.

Unfortunately, we don't actually know which logins are used with which
initials, so we need you to tell us with the following survey.  Please also
make sure that someone fills in the form for generic initials--like a circ
desk.

I don't mind if you consolidate the work so that one person enters the info
for each person or if you get the word out for everyone at the library to
take a moment and fill in the survey.  So long as it gets done.  Initials
that have not been submitted to the form will be left un-edited and will
not work when we move to Sierra.  You can imagine that we will be busy on
the day after migration, so fixing individual users' initials will not be
our highest priority.

Coming up: watch for another email in the next few days about installing
Sierra on your computers.

Progress report: We successfully migrated URSUS to Sierra last Wednesday.
No crises and only a few wrinkles.  Now we're getting a feel for how it
runs day to day and the subtle differences.

Thanks for your help,

 Alisia Revitt  |  Library Systems Manager  |  Maine InfoNet  |
alisia.revitt at maineinfonet.org