[minervacirc] Prepare for Sierra Step 2: Install Sierra and test access

Alisia Revitt alisia.revitt at maineinfonet.org
Tue Aug 12 11:29:29 EDT 2014

It is time to install the Sierra Desktop Application (a.k.a. “SDA”) on all
staff computers and make sure you can get it to run.  Basically, you'll
need this anywhere you have Millennium installed now.

I'm including quick directions in this email.  For more details and for any
errors, please go to our installation page for full instructions and help:
http://www.maineinfonet.org/install-sierra-minerva/
The password for the site is sierra.

In most cases, the following URL will work to install on the first try.  If
it gives you any errors, please see below for suggested fixes.  After you
install successfully, move down to the next testing step.

TO INSTALL:
 on each computer, follow this URL:
http://minerva.maine.edu/sierra/desktop
You will be asked if you want to allow the java application and/or popups
in your browser, and you should set these to allow (allow and remember if
possible).  Then you should be guided through the installation.

TO TEST THE INSTALLATION:

Once Sierra Desktop Application is installed, you should open it and log in
with the test login:
 Username: minerva
 Password: minerva

Please note: Especially the first time or two, Sierra may take a few
minutes (literally, minutes) to log in. It will appear to have stopped
working–the busy mouse cursor will stop and the text on the Sierra window
will go grey, but it is honestly still working.  Please allow at least 10
minutes (seriously) before you give up on this first login.  If it is
taking unduly long, make sure that there are no windows asking for
confirmation that are hidden behind other things on your screen.

Remember, if you have errors or snags, please see the maineinfonet.org
website listed above for some guidance, and send in a support ticket
(rather than replying to me) to support.maineinfonet.org.

Have fun,

 Alisia Revitt  |  Library Systems Manager  |  Maine InfoNet  |
alisia.revitt at maineinfonet.org