[minervacirc] [MinervaCats] Can we stop the Downton-ageddon???

jrathbun@baxter-memorial.lib.me.us jrathbun at baxter-memorial.lib.me.us
Mon Feb 3 13:06:29 EST 2014

Not to pick on Norway or go off on a crazy rant here but, now that the
question of whether or not we can avoid Downton-ageddon has been
answered with a resounding "no" I'll just say...

I find this situation more than a little frustrating. The idea that
one library (as Norway is currently the only one) can, would and, by
the standard, should put a set broken into individual discs on a
record filled with complete sets with existing bib level holds and
thereby create a situation where every other library in the system
needs to move their patrons' holds onto particular records is kind of
absurd, isn't it?

Since the system is incapable of distinguishing between these items,
shouldn't these broken up sets be put somewhere else? Disc 1 is not
Downton Abbey Season 4, it's an artificially created part of that
season and therefore, while I think it's a library's prerogative to
create such a broken up set, I don't think it should be on the same
record as the complete set. It's really not the same thing anymore,
right? Obviously, nobody who requested the season wants just one disc
and, until this set was added, everybody requested the season.

I can recall a few times when this has happened to a book that someone
accidentally added a c2 to the volume field of and suddenly everyone
had to pick an individual copy for no reason. That's not as
frustrating because everyone still got the correct book. In this case,
what's been done is really changing what people could receive and I
don't understand why that's an option we're continuing to offer.

What if this wasn't Downton Abbey but instead was an older series with
holds on it that the list wasn't paying attention to? I can't be the
only one who thinks it's crazy that we should be required to
continually monitor every set in the system on the off chance that a
library adds a broken up set to the record and then, when a library
does do that, that it should be everyone else's responsibility to fix
the situation for their own patrons. Again, no offense intended toward
Norway. I totally get that you're just doing what you need to do in
order to circulate this series in the manner that best suits your
patrons but the situation that's been unavoidably created is something
along the lines of untenable. :)

James

--

Public Services Librarian