[minervacirc] Can we stop the Downton-ageddon???

Joshua Tiffany jtiffany at gray.lib.me.us
Fri Jan 24 12:29:25 EST 2014

Greetings all,

Since Tuesday will be the eagerly anticipated release of season 4 of Downton
Abbey, I was wondering if it might be nice to consider some options other
than business as usual for this item.

As it stands now, one library has a live copy in circulation and another has
one on order.  As of this writing, there are currently 48 individuals with a
bib-level hold on the item.  According to cataloging standards, since the
item has multiple discs the volume field is to be used to identify complete
set or individual discs.  Which means that those 48 people already waiting
in line have no idea if they are going to get the complete set or individual
discs.  Plus once more libraries go active with their copies and more
individuals place holds, a person sitting at home will be guided to select
an individual item and be led to believe that they are second or third in
line for a copy, as opposed to 50th.  Additionally, libraries that are quick
to process their item will start to bear the burden of those eager to get
the item.

I realize that this topic is part of a larger issue being kicked around the
collective brain, but since this issue is hitting us on Tuesday, I was
hoping that we might come to some consensus to deal with the situation that
best serves the patrons seeking this series.  Any variation from standing
rules would apply in this one isolated instance and would in no way be
construed to reflect new policy.

I would suggest either the establishment of two bib-records - one for
complete sets where the volume field is not used, and one for split up sets
where the volume field reflects the individual disc.  Or having all
libraries circulate the item as a whole for at least as long as there is
popular demand and there exists a long waiting line for the item.

If not, we will do what we always do and fumble through the best we can.

Thank you for your kind attentions,

Josh

Joshua Tiffany, MLIS

Town of Gray-Library Director

207-657-4110

207-657-4138 Fax

 <http://www.gray.lib.me.us/> http://www.gray.lib.me.us/

  _____

This electronic mail message and any attachments hereto, as well as any
electronic mail message(s) that may be sent in response to it, may be
considered public records, and may therefore be subject to public record
requests for review and copying under Maine's Right to Know Law (Title 1,
401-521 of the Maine Revised Statutes).