[minervacirc] AV change, 6 months later

klyons@rice.lib.me.us klyons at rice.lib.me.us
Fri Jan 9 15:53:01 EST 2015

Is the request to buy more copies of popular titles put out to
libraries who do not have these titles in their collections at all, or
to those who own them but are constantly sending them out to other
libraries? I'm part of the latter group, and would the second (or
third) copies of popular DVDs not just be sent out into the void for
months at a time as well? Would our patrons not have the same
potential five-week wait for the item to come to them, even if they're
next on the list for it? Should the solution be to make it available
only to our library's patrons?

And, while DVDs of feature films are generally less expensive than
other materials, seasons and box sets of TV shows can be easily
upwards of $50. That's a not-insignificant chunk of our A/V budget.

For the record, Rice is a one-week, no-renewals-on-DVDs library and
there are absolutely no plans to change it. I think the two-week
lending period is a great compromise here.