[minervacirc] 3-Week AV Minerva Loan Rules - 6 Months Later

aatkins@kennebunk.lib.me.us aatkins at kennebunk.lib.me.us
Fri Jan 9 15:56:34 EST 2015

 From my perspective, the measure of success or failure is patron satisfaction.
By that measure, the 3-week check out has been a huge success here.

We joined Minerva just as the trial period was starting. Our patrons
had a bit of difficulty adjusting to many of the changes, but they all
LOVED the 3-week checkout. I've heard lots of gushing, and not one
complaint. (Seriously. I'm not exaggerating - not one!)

Here's what I've observed:

People like having everything they check out due at the same time.
Parents are particularly fond of it -it's one less bit of information
they have to keep in their overstuffed brains.

Despite that, most patrons are not keeping DVDs for the full 3 weeks.
We limit circulation to 4 DVDs per card. People are returning them as
they watch them because they want to get more. New movies, in
particular, are coming back to us in a few days because people watch
them right away.

Despite the data, patrons haven't found there to be many unreasonable
wait times. The one DVD set we've had trouble with is Homeland Season
3. There are currently 93 holds. Even if we go back to one week
circulation, that's a big long wait list with only 22 copies in
Minerva. And I guarantee that rather than go back to the end of a big
long wait list after a week, patrons would keep the item and pay late
fees. It's still cheaper than renting movies used to be.

When there are long waits, patrons aren't complaining. They tend to
have to wait only for newer items, which they expect to wait for.

Please, please, please do not switch back to one-week DVD checkouts.
Our patrons are delighted with things as they are and it would be very
difficult to change back. I would probably have to join the witness
protection program.

I think it's great that we did the trial period because I would argue
that the data does not tell the full story. I agree that there are
some improvements that could be made - maybe a discussion about
purchasing practices is in order. Still, overall this has been a very
positive experience for our patrons.

Allison Atkins
Kennebunk Free Library