[minervacirc] 3-Week AV Minerva Loan Rules - 6 Months Later

Davis, Kevin kdavis at southportland.org
Fri Jan 9 09:47:02 EST 2015

Thank you, Lynn, for adding this clarifying information, as I suspect that libraries do, from time to time, forget about holds prioritization.

In the case of Ride Along, of the - currently 8 - outstanding bib level holds on the record with 4 copies, three of those holds (including the oldest) are for patrons from a single library and this library has not purchased the item (which costs $7.00 currently on Amazon).  If this library were to acquire a copy of the DVD, the holds would be satisfied quickly, as their patrons would get first priority on their copy.  In the meantime, while SPPL does not own a copy of this title, we also do not have any patrons waiting for it, and therefore feel no obligation to purchase one, regardless of the price, just because the system has lots of holds and few copies.

So, while more copies would help the system, to me it seems to be more a matter of libraries being responsive to their local need and not relying on the system – and the larger collections in the system – to supply items which, for whatever reason, are not being purchased, despite demonstrated local need.

Kevin

Kevin M. Davis
Director of Library Services
City of South Portland