[minervacirc] 3-Week AV Minerva Loan Rules - 6 Months Later

Frank Dehler fdehler at york.lib.me.us
Sat Jan 10 12:56:53 EST 2015

James Rathbun informed us that a 2-week loan period for all DVDs and
Blu-Rays was the Circulation Standards Committee's recommendation, based on
the Roundtable discussions last summer.

In my opinion, echoing Katie, this is a sensible and workable compromise.
It provides for a longer loan period for multi-disc sets, and enables
waiting patrons to get their titles more quickly than the 3-week period
typically allows.  It addresses Cataloguing's desire for a single loan
period for all DVDs--the vast majority of which are single discs.

In November, James kindly (and painstakingly) explained to us the reasoning
behind the decision to go with 3 weeks for all DVDs.  I quote from his
response about having a single loan period for all material types: "The
thing that came out of the discussions is that there's no real reason to
view the two formats [books and audiovisual media] differently, or to treat
them differently when making a purchasing decision."

Patterns of consumption for the two formats do differ, though, just as
libraries' purchasing decisions for various formats inevitably do.  The net
effect of the 3-week loan period (as Josh has clearly demonstrated) has been
a substantial increase in the average wait-time for a high-demand disc.  Two
weeks would lessen the wait, while still affording plenty of time for the
average patron to view multi-disc series.

The 'solution' we keep hearing--that individual libraries should simply
purchase more of the items their patrons are interested in and not rely on
the consortium to leverage the strengths of its members' collections--misses
the mark.  Not to mention being a bit troubling.  It doesn't recognize
budgetary realities, or the fact that collection strengths ideally--and
realistically--complement each other in the consortium model.  It's hard to
avoid the impression that the Minerva decision to loan all discs for a
3-week period is a case of the tail wagging the dog.

Since the issue was raised, we've been strongly in favor of maintaining the
1 week loan period for DVDs and Blu-rays. We have a 1 week period at York,
with possibility of renewal.  We feel that this makes the best use of
limited resources for all patrons-and Josh Tiffany's data certainly supports
this. We have not seen any data to support continuation of the 3 week loan
period for all discs.

We could support changing the loan period to 2 weeks for all DVDs and
Blu-rays, or to 3 weeks for multi-disc sets. While we understand the
complications of doing the latter, determining how to assign loan periods
based on the number of discs is no more arbitrary than loaning 1 disc items
for 3 weeks, simply because 16% of DVDs/Blu-rays have 3 or more discs. If
Southwest Harbor can meet the needs of their patrons with differing loan
periods for items based on the number of discs, why can't this model apply
consortium-wide?

That said, a 2-week loan period for all DVDs and Blu-Rays seems to be a
solution most libraries could agree to, and would serve the interests of
most patrons more effectively than the current 3-week model.

Respectfully submitted,

Frank Dehler, Circulation Coordinator

York Public Library

15 Long Sands Road