[minervacirc] Freeze options??

Bethany Wulleman BWulleman at lewistonmaine.gov
Fri Jan 23 13:38:32 EST 2015

We are getting phone calls today and emails from patrons asking about "freezing" holds on their account.
After discussing this with several other staff members we are unclear on how this works.  Is it a new feature of Sierra?
We are familiar with the "not before" and "not after" options on the staff side to assist patrons with vacations, etc. but this option in the OPAC does not give patrons the ability to enter dates.

I logged into my own personal account, looked at my holds and saw that any hold that was not in transit or ready for pickup does have a box next to it that says "Freeze" and can be checked off.

I checked the box on one of my holds, hit update and got this message:

"The following holds will be updated or cancelled - do you want to proceed?"

If I hit "Yes" all that happened is that the item now has the freeze box marked and the title is in a gray font rather than the standard black.

When I go into my account on the staff side everything looks normal as well.

When I go into the bib record for the item that I "froze" and look at my bib level hold it now gives a date of "09-14-2015" in the "not before" box.

I was able to go back using the OPAC and "unfreeze" my item which put everything back to normal.....

Does anyone know anything about this "freeze" function?  How does it assign dates?

Beth Wulleman  Lending Services Supervisor
Lewiston Public Library 200 Lisbon St.     Lewiston, ME  04240     Voice: 207.513.3134 www.LPLonline.org<http://www.lplonline.org/>

The next time you make an Amazon purchase shop at Smile.Amazon.com<smile.amazon.com>.  Choose "the Friends of the Lewiston Public Library" as your organization to support.
 It is free & Amazon will donate a portion of their proceeds to LPL!