[minervacirc] July High Demand Hold Digest

Josh Tiffany jtiffany at gray.lib.me.us
Wed Jul 1 17:31:43 EDT 2015

Greetings, Library-Land!

For those out there on a July 1 to June 30 fiscal year – welcome back for
another year of the impossible.  I always feel pride when our funding
calendar flips over.  Once again we have survived the doubters, the haters,
the common-knowledge that libraries are the thing of the past.  Once again
we start out another year, fresh, renewed, and with our coffers (hopefully)
fully restored.  So why not crack open those full piggy-banks and grab
yourself some highly requested item!

Based on comments from some kind folks out there, all material types have
been restored in this report.  It is nice to see that some are actually
paying attention and reading this monthly missive, plus taking the time to
ask me what happened to audiobooks?  So now presented are books, audiobooks,
DVDs, Combo packs, Blu-Rays, music CDs, large print, and pre-publication
requests.

And also, as a special request to one dedicated listener out there, I have
included a quick cut-and-copy of the top 40 out of balance items for hold to
items.  The ratio is the number of holds divided by the number of items – so
the lowest score is 2  meaning there are two holds on one item.  I’ve taken
the liberty to pull out the pre-publication records from this accounting
primarily due to the fact that not every, nor even that many, libraries
input an item as a pre-order record.

So give it a read, and maybe find something new and interesting.
Personally, I’m happy to see that Thomas Hardy, despite being dead for 87
years, has stormed his way onto the list!   And by now, I am beginning to
ask if it is ever going to be possible to see “The Girl on Train” removed
from the number one spot.  It is like some strange Godzilla monster where
the more copies that are thrown at it, the more people want it.

And, as a final note, please make no assumptions on the order of the
material types presented.  I dumped everything into an excel sheet so this
is how they are arrange alphabetically when the full material type if listed
(books = printer material, audiobooks = spoken CD, etc.)  So in the end, a
list is just a list.

And, as the truly final final note, the oldest hold I’ve found on any item
on this list goes back to January 21, 2015 (161 days) for the Blu-Ray / DVD
Combo pack set of “Get on up: The James Brown Story”.

See you in August,

Josh

Blu-Rays

1)      American Sniper – 42 holds on 3 items

2)      The Imitation Game – 18 holds on 1 item

3)      Wild – 15 holds on 1 item

4)      Game of Thrones: Season 4 – 13 holds on 1 item

5)      Interstellar – 12 holds on 5 items

6)      The Grand Budapest Hotel – 9 holds on 1 item

7)      Still Alice – 9 holds on 1 item

8)      Selma – 8 holds on 3 items

9)      The Theory of Everything – 8 holds on 2 itmes

10)   Unbroken – 8 holds on 3 items

DVDs

1)      American Sniper – 92 holds on 35 items

2)      Still Alice – 87 holds on 41 items

3)      Kingsman: The Secret Service – 81 holds on 18 items

4)      Jupiter Ascending – 69 holds on 14 items

5)      Orange is the New Black: Season 2 – 57 holds on 15 items

6)      Chappie – 47 holds on 7 items

7)      McFarland, USA – 47 holds on 18 items

8)      American Sniper – 43 holds on 5 items

9)      Cake – 39 holds on 18 items

10)   Taken 3 – 36 holds on 17 items

11)   Broadchurch: Season 2 – 35 holds on 14 items

12)   Seventh Son – 32 holds on 6 items

13)   Focus – 27 holds on 9 items

14)   Newsroom: Season 3 – 27 holds on 1 item

15)   The Rewrite – 27 holds on 10 items

16)   The Good Lie – 26 holds on 3 items

17)   The Gambler – 24 holds on 6 items

18)   Run All Night – 23 holds on 6 items

19)   The Wedding Ringer – 23 holds on 7 items

20)   Mortdecai – 22 holds on 4 items

Blu-Ray / DVD Combo Packs

1)      The Theory of Everything – 16 holds on 1 item

2)      The Hunger Games: Mockingjay – 14 holds on 3 items

3)      Lucy – 12 holds on 3 items

4)      Black Sea – 10 holds on 1 item

5)      American Sniper – 8 holds on 1 item

6)      Big Hero 6 – 6 holds on 3 items

7)      The Gambler – 6 holds on 1 item

8)      The Judge – 6 holds on 3 items

9)      The Boxtrolls – 5 holds on 1 item

10)   Get On Up: The James Brown Story – 4 holds on 1 item

Large Print

1)      The Girl on the Train (Hawkins) – 41 holds on 20 copies

2)      All The Light We Cannot See (Doerr) – 35 holds on 17 items

3)      14th Deadly Sin (Patterson) – 34 holds on 14 copies

4)      Memory Man (Baldacci) – 33 holds on 11 copies

5)      The Liar (Roberts) – 24 holds on 5 copies

6)      Country (Steele) – 21 holds on 3 copies

7)      In the Unlikely Event (Blume) – 16 holds on 4 copies

8)      Radiant Angel (DeMille) – 15 holds on 4 copies

9)      Truth or Die (Patterson) – 12 holds on 3 copies

10)   The Rumor (Hilderbrand) – 9 holds on 2 copies

Music CDs

1)      How Big, How Blue, How Beautiful (Florence + The Machine) – 7 holds
on 2 copies

2)      Furious 7: Motion Picture Soundtrack – 5 holds on 1 copy

3)      The Waterfall (My Morning Jacket) – 4 holds on 1 copy

4)      Beneath the Skin (Of Monsters and Men) – 2 holds on 1 copy

5)      Drones (Muse) – 2 holds on 1 copy

6)      Roomful of Teeth (Roomful of Teeth) – 2 holds on 1 copy

7)      Rumours (Fleetwood Mac) – 2 holds on 1 copy

8)      Talking Dreams (Echosmith) – 2 holds on 1 copy

Books

1)      The Girl on the Train (Hawkins) – 301 holds on 122 items

2)      All The Light We Cannot See – 283 holds on 140 items

3)      The Precipice (Doiron) – 221 holds on 51 copies

4)      In the Unlikely Event (Blume) – 155 holds on 41 copies

5)      Memory Man (Baldacci) – 143 holds on 62 copies

6)      The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up (Konda) – 138 holds on 50
items

7)      The Nightingale (Hannah) – 136 holds on 68 items

8)      The English Spy (Silva) – 95 holds on 17 copies

9)      The Rumor (Hilderbrand) – 95 holds on 28 copies

10)   Radiant Angel (DeMille) – 83 holds on 40 copies

11)   Road to Character (Brooks) – 82 holds on 41 items

12)   Melody Linger On (Clark) 74 holds on 28 copies

13)   Luckiest Girl Alive (Knoll) – 68 holds on 20 items

14)   Truth According to Us (Barrows) – 68 holds on 27 items

15)   Once Burned (Boyle) – 63 holds on 17 items

16)   Summer Secrets (Green) – 50 holds on 19 items

17)   Primates of New York (Martin) – 31 holds on 10 items

18)   Grey (James) – 26 holds on 8 items

19)   The Heir (Cass) – 25 holds on 12 items

20)   The Whole 30 (Hartwig) – 17 holds on 6 items

Pre-Publication

1)      Go Set a Watchman

2)      Make Me (Child)

3)      Nature of the Beast (Penny)

4)      The Promise (Crais)

5)      X is for (Grafton)

6)      Alert (Patterson)

7)      Tricky 22 (Evanovich)

8)      Naked Greed (Woods)

9)      Nemesis (Coulter)

10)   Murder House (Patterson)

11)   Rogue Lawyer (Grisham)

12)   Code of Conduct (Thor)

13)   The Crossing (Connelly)

14)   Badlands (Box)

15)   Who Let the Dog Out (Rosenfelt)

16)   Wired (Garwood)

17)   Cross Justice (Patterson)

18)   Murderer’s Daughter (Kellerman)

19)   After the Storm (Castillo)

20)   Devil’s Bridge (Fairstein)

21)   Friction (Brown)

22)   Host (Cook)

Audiobooks

1)      The Precipice (Doiron) – 18 holds on 5 items

2)      The Nature of the Beast (Penny) – 16 holds on 0 items

3)      Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up (Konda) – 13 holds on 6 items

4)      Our Souls at Night (Haruf) – 10 holds on 1 item

5)      The Promise (Crais) – 8 holds on 1 item

6)      A Dangerous Place (Winspear) – 6 holds on 2 items

7)      The Fifth Gospel (Caldwell) – 6 holds on 3 items

8)      Far from the Madding Crowd (Hardy) – 5 holds on 1 copy

9)      The Blackgaard Chronicles – 4 holds on 2 items

10)   Pretty Girls (Slaughter) – 4 holds on 0 items

Out of Balance Holds

Title

Material Type

System Holds

System Items

Ratio

The newsroom. The complete third season / HBO Entertainment presents ;
executive producers, Aaron Sorkin, Scott Rudin, Alan Poul ; created by Aaron
Sorkin.

DVD

27

1

27

The imitation game / producer, Teddy Schwarzman ; directed by Morten Tyldum
; written by Graham Moore.

BLU RAY

18

1

18

The theory of everything / Focus Features presents a Working Title
production ; produced by Tim Bevan, Eric Fellner, Lisa Bruce, Anthony
McCarten ; screenplay by Anthony McCarten ; directed by James Marsh.

DVD/BLU RAY COMBO

16

1

16

Wild / Fox Searchlight Pictures presents ; a Pacific Standard production ;
produced by Reese Witherspoon, Bruna Papandrea, Bill Pohlad ; screenplay by
Nick Hornby ; directed by Jean-Marc Valleé..

BLU RAY

15

1

15

American sniper / Warner Bros. Pictures presents in association with Village
Roadshow Pictures a Mad Chance production ; a 22nd & Indiana production ; a
Malpaso production ; writer, Jason Dean Hall ; producers, Clint Eastwood
[and four others] ; director,

BLU RAY

42

3

14

Game of thrones. The complete fourth season / HBO Entertainment ; producers
Chris Newman, Greg Spence ; co-executive producers, George R.R. Martin,
Guymon Casady, Vince Gerardis, Vanessa Taylor ; executive producers,
Bernadette Caulfield, Frank Doelger, C

BLU RAY

13

1

13

Home sweet hell / director, Anthony Burns ; writers, Carlo Allen, Ted
Elrick.

DVD

10

1

10

Black Sea / Focus Features and Film4 present a Cowboy Films production ;
produced by Charles Steel, Kevin MacDonald ; screenplay by Dennis Kelly ;
directed by Kevin MacDonald.

DVD/BLU RAY COMBO

10

1

10

The healthy mind cookbook : big-flavor recipes to enhance brain function,
mood, memory, and mental clarity / Rebecca Katz with Mat Edelson ;
photography by Maren Caruso.

PRINTED MTL

10

1

10

Our souls at night / Kent Haruf.

SPOKEN CD

10

1

10

The Grand Budapest Hotel / producers, Wes Anderson, Jeremy Dawson, Steven M.
Rales ; directed by Wes Anderson.

BLU RAY

9

1

9

Still Alice / producers, James Brown, Pamela Koffler, Lex Lutzus ;
directors, Wash Westmoreland, Richard Glatzer.

BLU RAY

9

1

9

Criminal minds. The eighth season / ABC Studios and CBS Studios, Inc.

DVD

9

1

9

Parenthood. Season 6.

DVD

9

1

9

Scott and Bailey. Season 3 / executive producer, Nicola Shindler; executive
producer, Sally Wainwright.

DVD

9

1

9

The zero theorem / Voltage Pictures presents an Asia & Europe/Zanuck
Independent production in association with Picture Perfect Corporation, Film
Capital Europe Funds and Zephyr Films Limited ; a Terry Gilliam Film ;
produced by Nicolas Chartier, Dean Zan

DVD

9

1

9

The good lie/ Alcon Entertainment, Image Entertainment and Black Label Media
present ; a Black Label Media, Image Entertainment and Reliance
Entertainment production ; writer, Margaret Nagle ; director, Philippe
Falardeau ; producers, Ron Howard [and five

DVD

26

3

8.666667

American sniper / Warner Bros. Pictures presents ; in association with
Village Roadshow Pictures ; a Mad Chance production ; a 22nd & Indiana
production ; a Malpaso production ; written by Jason Hall ; produced by
Robert Lorenz, Andrew Lazar, Bradley Coop

DVD

43

5

8.6

American sniper / Warner Bros. Pictures presents ; in association with
Village Roadshow Pictures ; a Mad Chance production ; a 22nd & Indiana
production ; a Malpaso production ; directed and produced by Clint Eastwood
; written by Jason Hall ; produced by

DVD/BLU RAY COMBO

8

1

8

Country : a novel / Danielle Steel.

LARGE PRINT

21

3

7

Exodus : gods and kings / Twentieth Century Fox presents ; a Chernin
Entertainment/Scott Free production ; a Ridley Scott film ; produced by
Peter Chernin, Ridley Scott, Jenno Topping, Michael Schaefer, Mark Huffam ;
written by Adam Cooper & Bill Collage

BLU RAY

7

1

7

How to love / Thich Nhat Hanh.

PRINTED MTL

7

1

7

Thor's Serpents / K.L. Armstrong and M.A. Marr.

PRINTED MTL

7

1

7

When I found you / Catherine Ryan Hyde.

PRINTED MTL

7

1

7

Chappie / Columbia Pictures and MRC in association with Lstar Capital ;
produced by Neil Blomkamp, Simon Kimberg ; written by Neil Blomkamp & Terri
Tatchell ; directed by Neill Blomkamp.

DVD

47

7

6.714286

New tricks. Season 11 / RLJ Entertainment; directed by Andy Hay, produced by
Tom Mullers.

DVD

20

3

6.666667

Welcome to me / Alchemy presents ; a Bron Studios, Gary Sanchez production ;
produced by Will Ferrell, Adam McKay, Jessica Elbaum, Aaron L. Gilbert,
Kristen Wigg, Marina Grasic ; written by Eliot Laurence ; directed by Shira
Piven.

DVD

13

2

6.5

The cost of courage / Charles Kaiser.

PRINTED MTL

12

2

6

Whiplash / director, Damien Chazelle ; producers, Jason Blum, Helen
Estabrook, David Lancaster.

BLU RAY

6

1

6

Joshua Tiffany, MLIS

Director – Gray Public Library

(207) 657-4110

jtiffany at gray.lib.me.us

“I know that the enterprise is worthy– I know that things work well. I have
heard no bad news.”

-           Henry David Thoreau

  _____

This electronic mail message and any attachments hereto, as well as any
electronic mail message(s) that may be sent in response to it, may be
considered public records, and may therefore be subject to public record
requests for review and copying under Maine's Right to Know Law (Title 1,
401-521 of the Maine Revised Statutes).