[minervacirc] Blu-ray buyers - UNITE.... or at least talk a little.

Josh Tiffany jtiffany at gray.lib.me.us
Tue Mar 31 10:47:36 EDT 2015

Hey all,

Forgive the cross posting but I'm attempting to contact an elusive group
that may or may not belong to any of the above lists - the A/V decision
makers.

I am writing in the hopes of starting a dialogue among those libraries that
regularly purchase the Blu-Ray / DVD Combo packs for newer movies.  As it
stands now, cataloging policy allows for both the cataloging of these items
as a single unit, plus cataloging them as two different units on separate
bib-records.  The end result can be first one in the pool gets all the
holds, and the alternate bib-record comes along a few days later and
receives a lot less attention.

It is my hope that if the selected few libraries that purchase these
materials can discuss this issue, we might come to some non-policy level
agreement on how best to proceed on the cataloging of these items.  My hope
is that the more items we can get on a bib-record, the quicker the hold
lists will decrease and the sooner our local items can be back on our
shelves.

So if you are a library that regularly obtains the combo-packs, let me know
off list and we can start the conversation as a group.

Kindest thanks for your attention,

Josh

Joshua Tiffany, MLIS

Director - Gray Public Library

(207) 657-4110

jtiffany at gray.lib.me.us

"I know that the enterprise is worthy- I know that things work well. I have
heard no bad news."

-           Henry David Thoreau

  _____

This electronic mail message and any attachments hereto, as well as any
electronic mail message(s) that may be sent in response to it, may be
considered public records, and may therefore be subject to public record
requests for review and copying under Maine's Right to Know Law (Title 1,
401-521 of the Maine Revised Statutes).