[minervacirc] ILL Question

James Rathbun jrathbun at msln.net
Thu Oct 15 15:01:27 EDT 2015

Hi Joanna,

Welcome! As far as the fines go, no, libraries shouldn't be charging fines
on overdue ILL items in that scenario because then they'd be making money
off another library's items. Everyone's circ system should be set up to
automatically waive ILL overdue fines when the item gets returned. However,
you might want to remove the line anyway. Here's why:

We don't charge fines at Baxter Memorial either and used to have a similar
phrase in our notices/policies. We removed such language because it implies
that your patron can always return late items to avoid fines. That may be
the case with your BBH items but if they have an overdue ILL that crosses
the 45 day threshold, BBH gets billed for it and ends up paying the lender
for it. In that case, your patron should be paying you back those fees
whether they bring the item back or not. It's not a fine so much as it is a
replacement cost, and it only applies to a very particular type of overdue,
but the distinction is fuzzy for most patrons so we removed any ambiguity
from all our notices/policies here.

Hope that helps.
James

--