[minervacirc] Individual Username versus Generic username

Lynn Uhlman lynn.uhlman at maineinfonet.org
Tue Oct 20 13:27:07 EDT 2015

Good Afternoon,

Are there any libraries who have not heard from me directly who are still
using individual usernames at the circulation desk to checkin materials?
Please let me know if you don't have one for your library by submitting a
ticket at support.maineinfonet.org with a subject of Generic Username.

For background on why Generic Usernames are being used...

Recently, it was decided by the Circulation Standards Committee to create
general circulation desk usernames that clearly identify the library with
its 3 digit library code prepending the username. As explained at the
meeting by James Rathbun, the Circulation Standards Chair, this is to
prevent the issue of not being able to identify where an ILL'd item has
come from.

Currently, the use of individual usernames at the circulation desk when
checking in items does not show which library the item came from. This
makes it difficult to figure out whom to call when a DVD set is missing a
disc or a book has water damage, etc. An item leaving the library that was
checked in using a generic login will contain a message in the item record
similar to this:

m Fri Oct 16 2015 01:58PM: IN TRANSIT from roccirc to bml

Rather than this:

m Fri Oct 16 2015 01:58PM: IN TRANSIT from jsmith to bml

Please note that you can continue to use your individual logins for other
tasks, just not for the checking in items. If you need other functions and
permissions attached to this login, please let me know by submitting a
ticket.

If you have any questions or concerns regarding this practice, please
submit your inquiries to James Rathbun, Circulation Standards Chair or to
the ticket system at support.maineinfonet.com.

Thank you,

*Lynn A. Uhlman*
*Systems Training and Support Librarian*

*Maine InfoNet*
Email: lynn.uhlman at maineinfonet.org <mail+to:lynn.uhlman at maineinfonet.org>