[minervacirc] Frozen Holds

Lynn Uhlman lynn.uhlman at maineinfonet.org
Tue Jul 5 13:13:03 EDT 2016

Good Afternoon,

I hope everyone had a lovely Independence Day weekend. Now its time to
redirect your thoughts back from tasty BBQs, day trips and lake/ocean side
reading to more mundane matters.

At the last Circulation Round Table in April, we yet again discussed the
continued problems associated with Frozen Holds. Originally, we had
discussed it at the January 2015 meeting and decided to try it out a while
longer to see if things improved. Alas, they did not.

To recap...a minority of patrons have been able to use the Frozen Holds
feature without any problems over the years, while the majority of patrons
and staff find it problematic and clunky. Additionally, "bugs" regarding
this feature continue to crop up in the system upgrades which makes it not
very useful and a mite difficult to train patrons and staff successfully.

So, the long and the short is that it was decided to turn the ability to
freeze holds off. This was recently done by Maine InfoNet staff and a list
has been compiled of patrons with frozen holds.

*What do library staff need to do?*

   1. ​Review the list of frozen holds for your library in the Google
   spreadsheet at
   https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1si3kXhTJbtADzJjhCRN26v8vmBQ-YrVQe3tEEmJC_7U/edit?usp=sharing

   *Libraries with frozen patron holds:*
   bfl, bml, cam, cml, edl, fml, fre, gar, gpl, kbk, lit, lpl, mca, opl,
   pfl, ric, rkd, roc, sca, spp, tho, tml, tpl, wel, win, wlk, wpl

   2. As
   ​certain if
   ​the ​
   patron want
   ​s​
   to have the hold replaced
   ​ or request it themselves at a later date.

   - If they want the hold replaced, cancel the existing frozen hold and
   request it again for them.​​ Change the priority of the hold to place the
   patron in the queue​ where they originally were
   ​. Use the *Hold Placed* date in the Google spreadsheet as your guide.
   Directions on how to *Change Priority* can be found at
   http://www.maineinfonet.org/supportportal/training/circ-training-resources/holds/
   .

   - ​If they want to replace it themselves at a later date, let them know
   the title and then cancel the hold.​
   ​ Additionally, staff can guide patrons in adding it to to their
   ​*​*
   *​P​*
   *referred *
   *​S​*
   *earch* list
   ​ to use as a reminder. Directions can be found at​

   http://www.maineinfonet.org/supportportal/training/circ-training-resources/preferred-search/
   .

​As always, please feel free to submit a ticket to
http://support.maineinfonet.org if you have any questions, concerns, or
need further guidance.

Thank you,

*Lynn A. Uhlman*
*Systems Training and Support Librarian*

*Maine InfoNet*
Email: lynn.uhlman at maineinfonet.org <mail+to:lynn.uhlman at maineinfonet.org>