[minervacirc] Frozen Holds

Lynn Uhlman lynn.uhlman at maineinfonet.org
Tue Jul 5 14:57:52 EDT 2016

Hello,

There has been some questions regarding the Not Needed Before and Not
Needed After sections when modifying a patron hold from the Sierra Desktop
Application (SDA). The consensus of the Round Table was to remove the
function from the patrons ability to "freeze" or suspend holds, which may
or may not have encompassed the staff side. I took it to mean the overall
features governing how to freeze a hold both from the patron and staff
sides.

Currently, the *Not Needed Before* and *Not Needed After* sections have
active "known issues" that are being reviewed by software engineering. So,
I'm not sure that it's wise to continue using these aspects of Freezing a
Hold based on how problematic it all has been in the past for the majority
of users.

*Please note* that the list I compiled is for any frozen hold in the system
since there is no way to ascertain if it was done through the SDA or
through the catalog.

For now, I would suggest not using *Not Needed Before* or *Not Needed After*
from the SDA. This is something that will be discussed at the next
Circulation Round Table meeting to ensure clarity.

Thanks,

*Lynn A. Uhlman*
*Systems Training and Support Librarian*

*Maine InfoNet*
Email: lynn.uhlman at maineinfonet.org <mail+to:lynn.uhlman at maineinfonet.org>