[minervacirc] Extending Minerva Loan Due Dates... Please stop.

Josh Tiffany jtiffany at gray.lib.me.us
Wed Jun 8 12:12:00 EDT 2016

Greetings and salutations,

I am writing because we have started tracking a regular occurrence - and
that is Minerva libraries extending the due date of our items at checkout.
Occasionally, some libraries checkout an item, renew it on the spot, and
adjust the due date to five weeks.  Others simply adjust the date as long as
they want.  I truly wish this was an isolated incident, but this week I've
checked for errant loan periods and I've found three different libraries
altering the due dates on our material.  In one instance, we had the first
circulation of an item on the high demand hold list get checked out for 45
days.

When we do encounter these situations, we do contact the owning library and
inform them of the situation.  But as this practice is frequent and not
limited to one or two libraries, I am hoping this message will help diminish
the altering of due dates.

Minerva policy is clear on this point.  All items are checked out for a
3-week period.  If no holds exist, the item may be renewed once.  If more
time is needed, the borrowing library needs to contact the owning library
for permission to override the loan rule.

So please, let's all play by the rules we've agreed to.

And if anyone else is interested in seeing if this is happening in their
collection, List #328 has the parameters I use (index search to your barcode
field; out location not equal to your home library, status not equal to
INN-Reach checkout, and item due date set to 22 days beyond current day.)

Respectfully,

Josh

Joshua Tiffany, MLIS

Director - Gray Public Library

(207) 657-4110

jtiffany at gray.lib.me.us

"The man who has no imagination has no wings." - Muhammad Ali

  _____

This electronic mail message and any attachments hereto, as well as any
electronic mail message(s) that may be sent in response to it, may be
considered public records, and may therefore be subject to public record
requests for review and copying under Maine's Right to Know Law (Title 1,
401-521 of the Maine Revised Statutes).