[minervacirc] Minerva offline for maintenance Wednesday, Aug 2nd

Alisia Revitt alisia.revitt at maineinfonet.org
Wed Jul 26 16:15:11 EDT 2017

The Minerva system, including the online catalog at minerva.maine.edu will
be offline for maintenance on Wednesday, August 2nd.

The work is expected to start shortly after 11AM. Although the expected
downtime is 4 to 6 hours, we have been told to plan for an outage that
lasts the rest of the day, in case additional work-time is needed.

For up-to-date information during the outage, and to see when it is clear
to go back to processing MaineCat materials, please check
http://twitter.com/maineinfonet or maineinfonet.org for the most recent
tweet.

*Searching and accessing resources*

   - MaineCat (mainecat.maine.edu) will be online and can provide holdings
   and call number information in place of the Minerva catalog. Availability
   information may be outdated, since it will only be accurate as of Minerva
   going offline.
   - Authentication to online resources *via barcode* such as the Download
   Library will be unavailable.
   - Marvel resources can be reached using the "username" method described
   here: http://libraries.maine.edu/mainedatabases/gettingstarted.htm#access
   .

*Circulation *

   - While the system is offline, please follow your library's local
   offline procedures.  If you wish to use the III Offline Circulation module,
   directions can be found here:  http://www.maineinfonet.
   org/supportportal/offline-circ/
   <http://www.maineinfonet.org/supportportal/offline-circ/>
   - Maintenance should start at 11.  Please be generous with this time and
   don't try to do complicated, critical, or multiple transactions up till you
   are kicked out.  It is possible that work in preparation could interfere
   with other transactions, so pushing till the last minute could backfire.
   - Please wait until you see the all-clear at maineinfonet.org or
   twitter.com/maineinfonet before you begin transactions, even if the
   system seems to be working.  Transactions done prematurely may lead to lost
   or broken data.

*Cataloging/Acquisitions *

   - There is no offline equivalent for the cataloging or circulation
   functions.
   - Maintenance should start at 11.  Please be generous with this time and
   don't try to do complicated, critical, or multiple transactions up till you
   are kicked out.  It is possible that work in preparation could interfere
   with other transactions, so pushing till the last minute could backfire.
   - Please wait until you see the all-clear at maineinfonet.org or
   twitter.com/maineinfonet before you begin transactions, even if the
   system seems to be working.  Transactions done prematurely may lead to lost
   or broken data.

*Self-check, computer reservation systems, and other API authentications*

   - Self check machines, computer reservation systems, or subscriptions
   which authenticate patrons by their barcode will not work while the system
   is offline.
   - If your self-check machine or other service relies on pointing at a
   numerical IP address, please submit a ticket at support.maineinfonet.org
   so we can help you redirect it.  Devices and applications pointed at the
   minerva.maine.edu address should continue to work smoothly after the
   transition.

*Firewalls*

   - Since this maintenance involves changing the hosted servers, ff your
   library/institution limits access to certain domains or ip addresses, you
   may need to have your IT change your firewall settings to allow the new IP
   address.  Exceptions based on the name minerva.maine.edu will continue
   to work fine.  Exceptions based on the numeric IP address will need to be
   updated.  Please submit a ticket to us at support.maineinfonet.org and
   we can provide the information you need.

A notice is on the front page of the catalog at minerva.maine.edu to inform
patrons starting a week in advance.

We apologize for the inconvenience this will cause. We recognize that a
Sunday or overnight outage would be preferable, but that is simply not an
option for this type of work.

The Minerva maintenance is part of a schedule of maintenance on various
Maine library systems.  Similar outages will occur for the following
systems and dates:

   - MaineCat: July 26
   - CBB: July 27
   - URSUS: July 31
   - Minerva: Aug 2
   - MILS: Aug 7
   - Portland Public: Aug 8

Thanks for your help and understanding,

 Alisia Revitt  |  Library Systems Manager  |  Maine InfoNet  |
alisia.revitt at maineinfonet.org