[minervacirc] Send in The Crown (or maybe not)

Andy Ryer aryer at thomas.lib.me.us
Fri Jul 6 17:29:54 EDT 2018

Hello, Minerva,

I just came across something strange and wanted to run it by the group. A
patron came in this afternoon and inquired as to his place on the wait list
for the DVD of The Crown: Season 2. Now, to the best of my knowledge,
season 2 of this extremely popular series hasn't yet been released, but
there it was on hold for him, with two copies of the DVD in the system.
There were 59 holds on these two copies. They have both circulated multiple
times. When I checked Amazon to see when this item had been released the
only thing I found were a few listings for what appear to be bootleg copies
of this series.

So, how does one proceed from here? If the DVDs are indeed bootlegs, should
they be circulating? It seems like a pretty blatant copyright issue if
these are not official releases. And if that's the case, should all patron
holds be cancelled? Perhaps this is an issue for catalogers? Or those doing
collection development? At any rate, if these are bootleg copies of this
series it seems troubling/surprising that 59 holds accrued on the items
without this coming to light until now. So, maybe I'm missing something?
Anyone want to weigh in on this? Seems like a topic ripe for a heated
listserv chewing over (I'm looking at you here, catalogers. I know you're a
bloodthirsty lot always spoiling for a fight. So bring it.). Thanks for
your input/insight to anyone who chooses to give it. Have a spellbinding
weekend, everyone.

--Andy Ryer